Looking to improve your morning and nighttime dental routine? Check out the tips and suggestions below to see what you can do to boost your smile’s appearance. Give us a call today at 630-369-6980 to schedule an appointment with our dentist, Dr. Areeb Yasin, here at A.Y. Family Dental and learn more about oral hygiene in Naperville, Illinois.
Your oral hygiene routine at home is a key aspect of maintaining a healthy mouth and smile. There are many oral hygiene aids that you can use as part of your home care routine to keep your teeth and gums clean. Here are some of the most common oral hygiene aids our dentist may recommend:
- Toothbrushes — Toothbrushes are one of the two most commonly used oral hygiene aids. You should brush your teeth at least twice each day, including before bed. Many dentists recommend using an electric toothbrush. Be sure to replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Floss — Floss is the other most commonly used oral hygiene aid. Flossing removes plaque, debris and bacteria from between your teeth and under your gumline to keep your teeth clean. You should floss at least once each day.
- Oral water irrigators — Oral water irrigators are an effective tool for cleaning below the gumline. They work by sending a continuous spray of water into your mouth to remove bacteria and food particles from the gum pockets. Oral water irrigators are highly effective at reducing your risk of gum disease. Please note that this oral hygiene aid does not replace regular brushing, flossing or routine dental visits.
- Interdental cleaners — Interdental cleaners are tiny brushes that clean the contours of the teeth between the gums. They are very gentle on the gums and are often recommended by dentists, periodontists and hygienists as a supplement to regular brushing and flossing.
- Mouthrinses — Mouthrinses help to fight bad breath, cavities and plaque in your mouth. Our dentist can suggest an appropriate mouthrinse for your use if you have difficulty in finding a rinse that works for you.
- Tongue cleaners — Tongue cleaners help to remove the buildup of bacteria, food debris and fungi on your tongue. Tongue cleaners should be used prior to brushing.
- Rubber tip stimulators — Rubber tip stimulators work to remove plaque from around the gumline and stimulate blood flow to the gums.
For more information about oral hygiene aids and to set up an appointment with our experienced dentist, please contact our office today. We look forward to helping you maintain your healthy smile!