Preventive dentistry encompasses all forms of dental care that are provided to help you avoid developing tooth decay and gum disease, sustaining tooth damage, or developing other dental problems. Preventive treatments are designed to help keep your mouth healthy so that you can maintain your natural teeth and avoid the need for more extensive care. The more care you take in keeping your mouth, teeth, gums and supporting oral structures healthy, the greater your chances are for maintaining your natural teeth throughout your life.
Preventive dentistry helps you not only to avoid dental problems and protect your natural teeth but also to diagnose conditions such as oral cancer and denture stomatitis, which affect people regardless of the condition of their teeth. When problems like oral cancer are diagnosed in the early stages of development, it is easier for our dentist to provide treatment, and that treatment is more likely to be successful.
Preventive dentistry includes:
- Home care (brushing and flossing)
- Regular dental cleanings and exams
- Preventive treatments such as dental sealants and fluoride treatment
- Checking that oral appliances and dental restorations are in good condition
- Reviewing your diet and any habits that may affect your oral health
- Recommending oral health products or hygiene aids for your use
We recommend that you visit our office every six months to receive regular preventive care. These routine appointments will help our dentist monitor your oral health and ensure that you receive any treatments you may need.
For more details about preventive dentistry and to schedule an appointment with our dentist, contact our office today. We are committed to helping you enjoy a healthy smile!